On Monday before New Year’s Eve, ONE SGM Christmas Cup started as the first event on the Tennis Europe Junior Tour with the new Super Category.
Five of the Tour’s most prestigious events have been upgraded from Category 1 to Super Category status to reflect their extraordinary efforts and performances. Players at Super Category tournaments can earn more ranking points and look forward to extra services and benefits.
On the boys’ side, the first seed, Atakan Karahan (picture on the left) from Turkey, has reached the semi-finals. Karahan recently won a 16&Under tournament in Ufa, Russia; he was thirteen years at the time. The #3 Martin Landaluce (Spain) is playing the semi-finals as well, and he will be facing the Czech Petr Brunclik.
In the girls’ single, Brit Martin, Estonia, is the highest-seeded player left (#4). Last year she played in Drottningens Pris, which could prove to be a valuable experience now when she prepares for the semi-finals.
The tournaments promoted to Super Category status in 2020 are:
- Christmas Cup, Khimki (RUS) – week of December 30th
- Les Petits As, Tarbes (FRA) – week of January 27th
- Kungens Kanna & Drottningens Pris, Stockholm (SWE) – week of February 24th
- XXVII Taça Internacional, Maia (POR) – week of March 30th
- Internationale Deutsche Tennismeisterschaften, Dueren (GER) – week of July 27th